School Dress & Grooming Code
Source: Judith Rasband, ©2010 Conselle L.C.
Dress or clothing, includes all articles of clothing, accessories, book bags, or decoration adorning or attached to the body and visible to others.
Grooming includes attention to neatness, care of, and presentation of the skin, hair, and nails.
Dress and grooming which is hazardous to health or safety, distracting and disruptive of the educational process or mission of the school, is not to be worn on school property and at school activities. This includes:
- Dress that displays words, slogans, insignias, and pictures which are sexual, profane, racist; displays dislike or hatred; promotes tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or illegal product or activity—is not to be worn or carried.
- Clothing that is torn, ripped, cut, cut off, mutilated, or ragged by intent or neglect—is not to be worn.
- Clothing that is soiled, dirty, or stained by intent or neglect—is not to be worn.
- Clothing, or lack of clothing, exposing bare shoulders, chest, cleavage, back, midriff, waist, navel, buttocks, or thigh—is not to be worn.
- Clothing that is transparent, exposing the shoulders, chest, breast, back, midriff, waist, navel, buttocks, or thigh—is not to be worn.
- Clothing that is excessively tight-fitting, exposing anatomical detail of the chest, breast, abdomen, crotch, upper thigh, or buttocks—is not to be worn.
- Clothing that is turned inside out or excessively oversize to the point of sloppy—is not to be worn.
- Hats are not to be worn in school.
- Sleepwear is not to be worn in school.
- Underwear is not to be visible in school.
- Dress or grooming that is characteristic of a specific gang is not to be worn.
(School officials will determine what constitutes "gang" specific or related after consultation with law enforcement agencies as needed.)
- Grooming that is excessively distracting in the way of makeup, hair care, color, or style, or nail care—is not to be worn.
Note: To facilitate a school goal or protect health and safety, school personnel may require students to wear specific clothing counter to this code for specific activities, such as tights, shorts, or swimsuit for drama, dance, or sports activities.
For the latest in fashion and image management, sign up for the Conselle Newsletter.Newsletter
See how Judith Rasband and Conselle bust popular image myths.Read More
Read the Conselle blog for a daily dose of image information!Blog